Gluten-Free Black-Bottomed Vanilla Cream Pie
Serves 8 to 10
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Crust:
- Makes one (9-inch) crust
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed Gluten Free MI-DEL® Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 5 tbsp. coconut oil or butter, melted
Pie Crust Directions
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In bowl, toss cookie crumbs with oil or butter. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pie plate. Bake until light golden, about 10 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
Black Bottom Chocolate Sauce:
- 3 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Vanilla Cream Filling:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup demerara sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten in separate bowl
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Place chocolate in small bowl. In heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together cream and 1 tbsp. butter until the mixture begins to bubble around the edges. Pour hot mixture into chocolate bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a pot. Slowly whisk in milk. Return pot to medium-high heat. Whisk until thick and bubbling, 6 to 8 minutes. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the yolks. Return mixture to pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it returns to a boil, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately and strain into a bowl; stir in remaining 2 tbsp. butter and vanilla.
- Let vanilla cream cool 15 minutes (until room temperature). Pour chocolate sauce into cooled piecrust and let sit for 30 minutes. Pour vanilla custard over the chocolate and smooth surface with a spatula. Let pie cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.